Driver Programming Links
This contains links to helpful sites on the web. If you have any suggestions, please email me. (This list has been compiled after many weeks of research. Please do not steal all the links for another webpage. In other words, this compilation Copyright 1998 by Lisa Patacchiola.) All Rights Reserved.
A form to search dejanews is accessible here, and a
form to search hotbot is accessible here.
MS DOS Drivers
Windows XP Drivers
Windows 95, VxD's
Windows NT, Kernel Drivers
- WinHEC 2000 Driver Resources
Microsoft has made a page of all the various different sessions and tools that were given during WinHEC 2000. Lots of useful info and tools are here.
- Windows Driver Model Article
Written by the same author of "Windows NT Device Drivers", Chris Cant
- WDM: Introduction to the Win32 Driver Model
- Walter Oney's White papers on WDM.
- Ask Dr. Iver
- Digital Signatures for WHQL-Tested Drivers
- Guidelines for Handling Plug and Play IRPs
- OnNow: Introduction and Specifications
This is a very complete page that contains links to explanations about what OnNow is, tools to help development, and links to the newest ACPI spec.
WDM and USB
- USB Central
Information, tools and links to material about the USB
- WDM USB interface
- Handling Bulk Data Transfer in a USB mindriver
- USB-Software Support
This page has a link to a sample skeleton WDM driver, as well as firmware and other helpful information.
- WDM USB Video Streaming Driver - A whitepaper, by California Software Laboratories, on how to write a filter driver.
- USB Developers Information Site
- USB Newsgroup
A message board to discuss USB development problems and suggestions.
- USB and game devices
This information is not very exciting. It more or less explaining a quick overview of the direction Direct Input will be going, and how it will get there.
- Understanding USB part 2
An article by John Canosa of Questra Consulting
- Embedded Systems Conference Classes
Check out the two USB conferences available from John Canosa on this page
WDM and HID
- WDM: Human Interface Device Class Support
- Designing HID controllers for Direct Input
- Button usage for HID devices
- USB-IF HID Developers web page
This contains a few useful applications, like HIDView, and HID Descriptor Tool(which allows easy creation of Descriptor tables).
- Microsoft's HID page
Microsoft has created this page to hold HID information.
- Developing HID Minidrivers for Non-USB Devices
Finally, a page explaining how to do a HID minidriver.
The following form is to search newsgroups.
The following form is to search the web.
Go to driver annotation page