and Maurice Roche
Margaret Ahern, born to
John Ahern and Catharine Ahern
about February 1831 probably in Mallow,
County Cork, Ireland, died of pnuemonia at her home at 61 North
Union Street in Arlington 2 July 1902, buried on the 4th of July
in St. Paul's cemetery in Arlington. She had been an invalid
for five or six years before her death. She married Maurice
Roche, a farm laborer, aged about 20, on Friday, 10 August
1849 at St. Mary's in Mallow, Cork (witnesses: Patrick Mortal
and Dennis Ahern). They immigrated from County Cork to the U.
S. in 1867, arriving in the port of New York 18 July on the
S.S. Virginia. The Virginia was a 3,000 ton steamship that left
Liverpool under Capt. Nicholas Prowse about the 1st of July,
stopping at Queenstown, Co. Cork for passengers a couple of
days later. This is probably where the Roches boarded. There
were eight of them, Morris and Margaret and their six children
sharing a berth in steerage for the two week passage.
Their children were:
- Mary Roche, born at Cloughlucas in Mallow,
Co. Cork, baptized 25 March 1850 at St. Mary's in Mallow (sponsors:
Timothy Connor and Mary Daly), died in Mallow or Doneraile
- John Roche, born about June 1851 at Cloughlucas in Mallow,
Co. Cork, baptized at St. Mary's in Mallow (sponsors: Patrick
Mortal and Catherine Robinson), died of a heart attack while
swimming in the Mystic Lakes in Medford, Massachusetts on Sunday the 4th of
August 1889. He had never married.
- Ellen Roche, born in Mallow, Co. Cork, baptized 22 May 1853 at St. Mary's in Mallow (sponsors: James
Fitzpatrick and Mary Galvin), married a farmer, Timothy Twoomey of
Winchester, Mass., son of Matthew and Honora Twoomey, 24 February
1881 at St. Malachy's in Arlington, Mass. (witnesses: Patrick Twoomey and Mary
Roche) and died 8 February 1902 in Arlington. They had the following children:
- Nellie Twoomey, born about 1885
- Katherine Twoomey, born about 1891
- Agnes Twoomey, born about 1895
- John E. Twoomey, born 8 May 1896
- Four daughters whose names are not yet known
- James J. Roche, born in Mallow, Co. Cork,
baptized at St. Mary's in Mallow 19 February 1856 (sponsors:
William Neil and Ellen Fitzpatrick),
He worked as a teamster and married Catherine
Harrigan (age 19) 30 September 1875 at St.
Malachy's in Arlington (witness: Rose Frances Welch). She was born in
Ireland to Michael and Kate.
They lived on Park Street in 1881, and had the following
- Margaret T. Roach, born 22 April 1876 in Arlington, died
12 May 1893 of cardiac paralysis in Arlington, buried 14
May at St. Paul's cemetery. She never married.
- Honora Roach, born 6 September 1878 in Arlington.
- Morris Roach, born 29 August 1881 in Arlington, baptized 4
September 1881 at St. Malachy's (sponsors: David Roach
and Helen Galvin).
- Michael Joseph Roach, born 16 July 1885, baptized 19 July
at St. Malachy's (sponsors: Cornelius Coughlin and Eva
Buckley), worked as a conductor and married Agnes Frances
McGowen (age 23) 24 September 1913 at St. John's in North
Cambridge, Mass. She was the daughter of William McGowen and
- James Roach, born 22 December 1888 in Arlington, baptized
24 December at St. Malachy's (sponsors: John Ahern and
- Claire "Clara" Roach, born 23 September 1893 in Arling-
ton, baptized 26 September at St. Malachy's (sponsors:
Michael Harrigan and Mary Coughlin).
- Catharine L. Roach, born 6 July 1897 at Lewis Ave. in
Arlington, baptized 22 July at St. Agnes (sponsors:
Philip Martin and Mary O'Sullivan).
- Catherine "Kate" Roach, born about March 1859 in Doneraile,
Co. Cork, Ireland, baptized 13 March 1859 at Doneraile (sponsors:
John Roche and Hanna Rily), died in Arlington 26 August 1879 of consumption.
- Mary T. Roach, born in Doneraile, Co. Cork,
baptized at Doneraile 5 May 1861 (sponsors: Daniel
Ahern and Mary Murphy), married Cornelius Coughlin (26), son of
Jeremiah and Mary (Keefe) 25 June 1885 at St. Malachy's in
Arlington (witnesses: William Coughlin and Margaret Roach).
- Michael Roach, born in Doneraile, Co. Cork, baptized 4 October 1863 at
Doneraile (sponsors: Patrick Ahern and Mary Brown)
- David A. Roach, born 7 December 1865 in Doneraile, County
Cork, baptized 10 December 1865 at Doneraile (sponsors:
Thomas Roche and Bridget Regan), married Annie Garde, daughter
of Benjamin Garde and Mary Kennedy, and died 10 February
1899 in Arlington. David's name does not appear with the rest
of the family on the passenger list of the S.S. Virginia, but
this is probably because they did not charge for infants.
They had the following children:
- John Joseph Roach, born 26 March 1896 on Decatur St. in
Arlington, baptized 29 March at St. Agnes (sponsors:
Michael Roach and Annie J. Roach).
- Christopher Roach, born 23 November 1897 on North Union
St. in Arlington, baptized 28 November at St. Agnes (sponsors:
Thomas M. Ahern and Elizabeth G. O'Brien).
- Margaret A. Roach, married Joseph M. Alix, son of Joseph
M. Alix and Margaret M. Carew, 30 August 1914 at St. Agnes
(witnesses: John Roche and Mary E. Alix).
- Margaret A. Roach, born on Friday, 21 August 1868 in Arlington,
baptized 30 August at St. Peter's in Cambridge (sponsors: John Roach and Mary Corcoran).
She married Edward O'Hanlon (aged 36) from Newton on 14 November 1895 at St.
Malachy's in Arlington (witnesses: Francis J. Dunlevy and Alice V. Roach).
He had been born in Ireland to Edward O'Hanlon
and Catherine McAulliffe, immigrated to the U.S. about 1888
and worked as a house carpenter. They had the following children:
- Elizabeth C. Hanlon, born about November 1896 in Massachusetts.
- Margaret Alice Hanlon, born 25 July 1898 on North Union
St. in Arlington, baptized 2 August at St. Agnes (sponsors:
James O'Hanlon and Anna Roach), married Louis
McKenna 24 April 1922 in Arlington, died about February 1982.
- Edward Walter Hanlon, born 4 January 1900 on Teel St. in
Arlington, baptized 14 January at St. Agnes (sponsors:
Cornelius J. Coughlin and Elizabeth Barry).
- John Harold Hanlon, born 15 October 1901 at 9 Webster St.
in Arlington, baptized 27 October at St. Agnes (sponsors: John Barry and Mary Coughlin).
- Mary Lois Hanlon, born 21 December 1903 in Massachusetts,
died July 1975 in West Concord, Massachusetts, married
Joseph Valentine Gradie.
- Charles Andrew Hanlon, born 18 August 1907 in Arlington,
baptized 1 September at St. Agnes (sponsors: George and
- David W. Hanlon born about 7 May 1906, died of bronchopneumonia
27 July 1906 in Arlington, buried 29 July at St.
Paul's cemetery in Arlington.
- George Francis Hanlon, born 12 February 1910 in Arlington,
baptized 20 February at St. Agnes (sponsors: William
O'Hanlon and Mary Ahern), possibly died before the 1920
- Elizabeth "Lizzie" G. Roach, born 26 June 1870 in West Cambridge, baptized
3 July at St. Peter's in Cambridge (sponsors: Patrick Ahern and Ellen [Ahern] Coughlin), married John
Barry (aged 22) of Arlington at St. Malachy's 29 September
1892 (witnesses: Michael Barry and Margaret Roach). They had the following children:
- Anna A. Barry, born 27 June 1893, baptized 28 June at St.
Malachy's (sponsors: Michael Barry and Margaret Roach),
married Thomas H. Geary of Cambridge 7 November 1917 at
St. Agnes (witnesses: Patrick E. Geary and Margaret A.
- Margaret Alice Barry, born 21 June 1895, worked as a bookkeeper for a clothier.
- John E. Barry, born about 1901, worked as a laborer in building construction.
- Walter Raymond Barry, born 3 November 1909 in Arlington,
baptized 7 November at St. Agnes (sponsors: William J.
Cullinane and Mary E. Hamilton).
- Annie Josephine Roach, born 7 March 1873 in Arlington, baptized 9 March at St. Malachy's
(sponsors: Michael Coughlin and Mary O'Donnell).
- Alice V. Roach, born 3 September 1875 in Arlington, baptized
5 September at St. Malachy's (sponsors: Arthur Coughlin and
Mary [Prendergast] Bradley).
- Katie Roach, born about 1878 in Massachusetts.
Some Other Links
Return to The Ahern Family HomePage
This page maintained by
accessed this page since April 2, 1998.