SS High Rhodes
The High Rhodes is a small privateer operating on Mars, which was one of the centers of the campaign I ran
It is a kite, that is, a native sail powered craft. A kite was selected because they are:
In my campaign, steam vessels are quite rare on Mars, since the boilers and engines must be shipped from
Earth, which makes them triply expensive outside governmental circles. There aren't they many etherflyer hulls,
and most of them are carrying men and supplies for the British Army. The same rarity works against the availability
of modern equipment and artillery available to British subjects.
- Faster than a crank vessel (generally) if one needs to run away.
- Much cheaper to operate with a much smaller maneuver crew. Even if one buys marshie slaves as crankers,
you still need to feed them, wot? And slaves won't fight for you, and freemen need to be paid...
- No need to waste cargo (loot) or supply space for coal.
The High Rhodes (named for the South African captain's personal hero, Rhodes) is manned by a mixed
martian/human crew - the Martians are the topmen (maneuver crew) and the deckhands, while the gunners
and marines are human. The Trimsman is an ex-Royal Navy petty officer, one of the few redmen outside the
Naval Service with this skill; the Helmsman is Martian.
High Rhodes Specifications
|Hull: 3 (Ram equipped) |
Speed: K (Kite)
Tonnage: 243 tons
Cost: 24,404 English pounds
Endurance: 2 months
- 1 Rod Gun (Fore swivel)
- 2 Heavy Guns (P&S wing swivels)
- 2 5-barrel Nordenfelts (P&S broadside)
- 2 Spike droppers
- 1 Aerial mine
- 1 Power grapnel (Aft swivel)
- Bridge: Captain, First Officer, Helmsman, Trimsman, Signalman (captain's servant)
- Maneuver: 3 martian topmen
- Deck: 4 martian crewmen (1 extra)
- Gunners: 8 - 7 humans, 1 martian
- Marines: 9 - 1 officer, 8 marines.
Stout-hearted lads all.
The High Rhodes often carried additional personnel: a martian cook, a German scientist studying
Mars, a reporter (assigned to cover a promised "Voyage Around Mars"), and a ship's doctor. Additional
cabin space was added for this purpose.
For details about the crew and their adventures, see
the Space Vermin's SPACE:1889 campaign.
Return to the Sky Galleons of Mars ship design list.